Internship Opportunities In Science Journalism, Germany
Open to: Candidates currently studying or having recently completed a University degree in science communication or science journalism, are preferred
Remuneration: Monthly allowance, accommodation, travel expenses
ESO Education and Public Outreach Department (ePOD) is responsible for the organisation’s outreach activities. A wide range of programs and activities are used to meet the specific requirements of television, print and online media, such as press releases and broadcast material for the media. ePOD embraces a multimedia approach to public outreach and produces high-quality printed material such as brochures, books, annual reports, newsletters, posters etc.
In ESO ePOD you will work with a team of professional science communicators for the preparation of ESO and ESA/Hubble news and photo releases, publications, web pages, video scripts, exhibition panels and other public communication products. Through your involvement in various projects you will have the opportunity to understand and learn: About the mission of ESO and the role and responsibilities of ePOD for its implementation. How a large international scientific organisation works in practice and in particular what are the workflows, processes and procedures within ePOD. How to write about complex scientific issues in an engaging and understandable manner.What is required to coordinate big events and projects. How written text and audiovisuals can be combined to make science attractive and approachable to the public.
- People who want to gain experience in science communication of front line astronomy projects.
- You should have some previous experience in written science communication in English and have a basic knowledge of astronomy.
- You must be fluent in English both written and oral and have strong MS Office applications skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Candidates currently studying or having recently completed a University degree in science communication or science journalism, are preferred
- You should be able to: Provide clear, concise and timely written and oral communications.
- Work both on your own initiative and as part of a team.
- Build good collaborative working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds and disciplines.
- Work in an organized manner and deliver to agreed deadlines and standards.
Internship opportunities are offered throughout the year. The duration of the internship is initially for 3 months up to a maximum of 6 months. A monthly allowance to cover your living expenses and accommodation are offered. The cost of a return trip from/to your home station is also covered.
If you are interested in this internship opportunity you are invited to APPLY ONLINE (click the button at the bottom of the page).
Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and your CV.
Please also send samples of your work to email@example.com.
Applications are reviewed on a monthly basis throughout the year. Although recruitment preference will be given to nationals of ESO Member States (members are: Austria, Belgium, Brazil, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom) no nationality is in principle excluded. The post is equally open to suitably qualified male and female applicants.
Please note that Mladiinfo does not give scholarships or any financial support, but only informs about different opportunities. Click on the direct link to the official page above to apply for the program.