Symantec Graduate Fellowship for Master and PhD
Deadline: 18 December 2011
Open to: students on a U.S. or European university in a Ph.D. or Master’s program focused on technology research
Fellowship: Stipend to cover educational, travel and living expenses up to $25,000
Symantec plans to begin accepting applications for the 2012 Fellowship in July 2011. The application deadline is December 18, 2011. Award decisions will be made in February 2012.
* Graduate Fellowship Program: Symantec will award Symantec Research Labs Graduate Fellowships to outstanding Ph.D. and M.S. students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value, in areas of Symantec’s business interests in information security, availability, and integrity.
* Fellowship participants also gain first hand research and development experience through guidance and mentorship from a top scientist of Symantec Research Labs during the fellowship period. Each participant is also encouraged to spend a summer working with their mentor at Symantec on a research project in their area of interest.
Provisions of the Award
* A stipend is provided to cover educational, travel and living expenses for visits to conduct research on our campuses (i.e. reasonable costs up to $25,000 are reimbursed).
* Mentors from Symantec Research Labs are paired with award recipients. The mentor is a top researcher who can provide ongoing technical guidance on the recipient’s research, during their graduate training as well as during summer internships at Symantec.
* All recipients will be encouraged to take a salaried summer internship with Symantec Research Labs (Mountain View, CA, Culver City, CA, or Sophia Antipolis, France).
* Each recipient will be given a laptop preloaded with Symantec software.
*Awardees have complimentary use of Symantec’s Worldwide Intelligence Network Environment — an infrastructure for research experimentation within Symantec that provides unique access to current sampled security related data feeds used internally.
* Fellowships are awarded to recipients for one academic year and may be extended for a second year, based on the award recipient’s continued exceptional academic standing, progress and achievement. Any such extensions will be granted solely at Symantec’s discretion.
* Applying students must attend a U.S. or European university in a Ph.D. or Master’s program focused on technology research. Exceptional graduating undergraduate seniors may also apply and final award is contingent on their acceptance to a graduate program.
* Preference will be given to students with a desire to work in an industrial research lab and those working on research projects likely to have real-world practical value to customers, in areas related to Symantec’s businesses of information security, availability, and integrity.
* Recipients will also be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence and their academic progress to-date as evidenced by publications.
* The scholarship awards will be made through the university and are not transferable to another academic institution.
Required Application Information
Applications should be submitted as a single compressed file (.zip file) and must include the following:
* A completed fellowship application form including a personal statement of research interests not to exceed 500 words. Applicants are strongly encouraged to articulate the practical value to customers of their proposed research areas.
* A C.V. and thesis proposal (optional).
* Three letters of recommendation from professors or industry researchers who can evaluate the applicant’s scientific aptitude and potential for research (may be sent confidentially, please see application form for instructions).
* Incomplete applications cannot be considered and we cannot guarantee notification of incompleteness. Please make sure applications are complete.
Application Dates and Process
* Fellowship applications will be accepted beginning July 2011.
* Application deadline will be December 18, 2011.
* As part of the application process, some candidates may be contacted for telephone interviews.
* The final award decisions will be announced in February 2012.
Please direct any additional questions about the Symantec Graduate Fellowship Program to:
Please note that Mladiinfo does not give scholarships or any financial support, but only informs about different opportunities. Click on the direct link to the official page above to apply for the program.