Internships in UN, New York
Deadlines: 15 January 2012, 15 April 2012, 15 July 2012
Open to: EU citizens
The Delegation of the European Commission to the United Nations in New York, offers three internship sessions per year. Internships are voluntary (unpaid), and interns will be required to work full-time (35-40 hours per week) during their internship period.
Interns follow the activities of different UN bodies such as the Security Council, the General Assembly and its various committees, as well as the Economic and Social Council. They are expected to monitor at least one of the many portfolios, related to Political, Economic or Social matters such as: Development, Trade, Sustainable Development, Environmental matters, Human Rights, unfolding Political crises, Peacekeeping Operations, Peace and Security, Peace-Building, Humanitarian Affairs, UN reform and UN finances, Disarmament, Legal issues (including Law of the Sea and Counter-Terrorism). Interns also participate at EU coordination meetings. Working alongside the officials of the Delegation, interns draft reports and briefings for the Delegation’s Headquarters in Brussels and to other European Union Delegations throughout the world. Interns are expected to serve (uninterrupted) from minimum 3 months to maximum 6 months.
- Interns must be citizens of the European Union or EU applicant countries;
- They must be university graduates, with a minimum of 3 full years undergraduate studies, preferably with a background in development studies, economics, political sciences or law, and have knowledge of the European Union policies and institutions;
- Be fluent in English, as it is the main working and reporting language of the Delegation. Providing us with a recently written work/report in English or having a certificate proving your knowledge of the English language would be an advantage. Knowledge of other languages (preferably French) is useful.
- Computer literacy is a must.
- Interns must provide, proof of full comprehensive medical and accident insurance, valid in the USA & Canada (covering hospitalisation, surgery, and repatriation, if necessary)
- Relevant work experience and knowledge of the UN are assets
Please be aware that internships are on a strictly UNPAID basis.
The application packet must include:
- completed application
- letter of motivation
- letters of recommendation from a current or former professor or employer.
Deadlines for future sessions are as follows:
- 15 January for internship starting September to December
- 31 May for internship starting January (the next year) to April
- 31 August for internship starting May (the next year) to July
Please note that Mladiinfo does not give scholarships or any financial support, but only informs about different opportunities. Click on the direct link to the official page above to apply for the program.