Korean Government Scholarships for International Students
Deadline: 31 March 2012
Open to: International students from selected countries
Scholarship: The full tuition is paid by NIIED, monthly allowance of 900,000 won, round-trip economy class ticket
The Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) is designed for international students who wants to pursue higher education in Korean Universities.
51 Universities (or Institutes) designated by NIIED can be host institutions:
Ajou University, Cheongju University, Chonbuk Nat’l University, Chonnam Nat’l University, Chosun University, Chung-Ang University, Chungbuk Nat’l University, Chungnam Nat’l University, Daejeon University, Donga University, Dongguk University, Dongseo University, Ewha Womans University, Gyeongsang Nat’l University, Hallym University, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Hannam University, Hanyang University, Hongik University, Inha University, Inje University, Jeonju University, Kangwon Nat’l University, KDI School of Public Policy and Management, Keimyung University, Kongju Nat’l University, Kookmin University, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Korea National Defense University, Korea University, Kumoh Nat’l Institute of Technology, Kyonggi University, Kyunghee University, Kyungpook Nat’l University, Pai Chai University, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pukyong Nat’l University, Pusan Nat’l University, Seoul Nat’l University, Seoul Nat’l University of Science and Technology, Silla University, Sogang University, Sookmyung Women’s University, SoonChunHyang University, Sungkyunkwan University, Sunmoon University, The Academy of Korean Studies, University of Ulsan, Woosong University, Yeungnam University, Yonsei University.
Detailed information about the fields and majors offered by the listed eligible universities can be found in the University Information section on the GKS website. Applicants must choose their desired fields of study from the listed programs in the University Information section provided by participating universities.
Night schools, Seasonal schools, and schools through Internet are not allowed.
- Airfare: A round-trip economy class ticket
- Monthly Allowance: 900,000 won(KRW) per month
- Research Allowance: 210,000 won for students in human and social sciences; 240,000 won for students in natural and mechanic sciences per semester
- Relocation (Settlement) Allowance: 200,000 won upon arrival
- Language Training Fee : The full costs up to 1 year
- Tuition: All admission fees are waived by the host institution. The full tuition is paid by NIIED.
- Dissertation Printing Costs: 500,000 ~ 800,000 won for the costs related to a printing dissertation
- Medical Insurance: 15,000 won per month(limited insurance coverage) will be provided to the university for students.
- Special fund for students proficient in Korean language (TOPIK level 5 or 6): 100,000 won per month(Commencing from the main program)
- Both applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of the foreign country.
- Applicants cannot have Korean citizenship.
- Applicants should be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in Korea for a long period of time.
- Should be under 40 years of age as of 1 September 2012.
- Hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of 1 September 2012.
- Applicants who are enrolling or have already enrolled in the same academic program in Korea as the one they are applying for will not be admitted.
- For Master’s program (or Integrated Master’s & Doctoral program): students who hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than Bachelor’s degree
- For Doctoral program: students who hold a Master’s degree or a diploma that is equivalent to or higher than Master’s degree.
- Applicants who are expecting the adequate diploma should present their diploma by September 1, 2010 before entry.
- Should have a grade point average (G.P.A.) at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4. 3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previous attended institution.
- If the grade is difficult to convert to percentage, official explanatory documents from the attended university are required.
The scholarships are targetted to students from the following countries:
Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Belgium, Bhutan, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Canada(Quebec), Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’Ivoire, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gabon, Germany, Georgia, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, The United Kingdom, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia
See the complete list of eligible countries at 2012 KGSP guidelines.
Applicants can apply for the scholarships through the Korean Embassy in their home country or a participating Korean University. See the websites of Korean Embassy (Consulate) in your own country or the universities in Korea in which you want to study in.
The selection process for applicants will proceed in three steps:
- Firstly, applicants must be selected by the institution he or she is applying through (a Korean embassy, or a designated university).
- Secondly, applicants who passed the first round must be selected by the NIIED Selection Committee.
- Finally, applicants who passed the second round must gain admission from a university.
The application deadline is 31 March 2012.
It is important to read the scholarship guidelines and visit the official website for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Please note that Mladiinfo does not give scholarships or any financial support, but only informs about different opportunities. Click on the direct link to the official page above to apply for the program.